Thursday, July 20, 2006

Spain

So, here's the first batch of pics from the beginning of our trip in Spain. There's no way that we could post a comprehensive pictorial review, so my idea is to go country by country with selected shots. Enjoy!

madrid airport Here's the beautiful Madrid Airport, our first stop in Europe.
class in sessionNow this is what I call a classroom! Our first presentation took place at Valle de los Caidos. Turning around, we see...
valle de los caidos...a stunning basilica and soaring cross. The really notable part about this basilica is that...
valle de los caidos nave...it's cut into the mountainside.
madrid loveMadrid has some beautiful streetscapes and...
cuevas el secreto...some great streetside cafes. This was the best sausage I'd ever had (until Munich).
avilaFrom Madrid we ventured out to see the walled city of Avila...
segovia aqueduct...and the ancient Roman aqueduct at Segovia. This thing was built with no mortar whatsoever nearly 2000 years ago and they were still using it up to about 50 years ago.
sagrada hockneyNext stop was Barcelona, home of one of Jac's favorite architects, Antonio Gaudi. Here's an autostitched panorama of his still unfinished Sagrada Familia...
parc guell...and here's me lounging on a tree that was appropriately growing in this organic looking arcade in his brilliant Parc Guell.

That's it for now... Next stop will be the south of France.

7 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Jac said...

Matthew! The great Antoni Gaudi is turning in his grave! I cant believe you are showing people the Sagrada Familia in this warped photo just because you want to play with your new photostich techie-toy. The proportions look horrendous in that photo! I don't care that you spent 2 hours putting in fake sky so it would look 'real'... this is sacrilege!

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger anthony said...

Oh my gosh, add Spain to my must-visit places. Seriously. That cathedral built into the mountain is unreal.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger anthony said...

....jac, you're hilarious!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jac said...

i would also like to point out that those are not the photos i would have chosen to show of spain.
spain is much more colorful than that. the streets, the people, the food.
did i mention that everybody has a siesta in the afternoon? the whole country just closes its businesses.
my kind of town.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I agree that I've done the Sagrada Familia an injustice. This site has some far superior pictures that you should really see. Oh, and I did not spend two hours putting in fake sky... it was closer to one. hehe.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Matt said...

What I find funny right about now is that I'm having a conversation on a blog comments section while she's sitting now five feet away...

Yes, the streets of Spain are lovely, but this post would have been absolutely massive if I would have tried tocram every relevant thing in. Make your own bloody post if you want street shots!!! hehe.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Beautiful pictures. I am so blown by the keen eye you have for the pictures. Missing you two! Glad to have you back in Canada safely. Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home