Saturday, June 10, 2006

When in Rome

When in Rome... enjoy yourself.

I just spent my first full day in Rome enjoying the sights of the Vatican. We went through the Vatican Museum which is one of the top art collections in the entire world. Highlights included the Laocoon Group (ancient Greek sculpture), Raphael's "School of Athens" and of course Michaelangelo's majestic Sistine Chapel. The last one was utterly incredible, it far surpassed what I could have imagined. Some of the painting literally looked like it was sculpture, the detailing and shading was so superb. This was followed by a trip through St. Peter's Basilica and then up to its roof for a stunning view of the Vatican and the rest of Rome. It was incredible.

Speaking of high points in art, we also went to check the Accademia in Florence to see Michaelangelo's Prisoners and of course David. David was incredibly detailed and looked like he was about to come to life. I never thought that a sculpture could look so alive. And then his Prisoners were also incredibly powerful: half formed figures struggling to escape from the stone that they're trapped in.

On a personal note, I saw a ridiculously opulent cathedral in Siena that helped me to understand the excesses that the Reformers were pissed off about. I'm also really tired and looking forward to tomorrow's free day to rest and relax.

So, that's it from Rome for now. We're here for two more days and then it's off to the Amalfi Coast. Should be some incredible sights!

5 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Diggin' the details Matt. I'm looking forward to the pictures!

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger anthony said...

The jealousy sitch isn't getting any better.....

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lazy faffles decided to finally check out your blog report on your trip. It sounds like you guys are having a mind-blowing time. I got your postcard yesterday, thankyou very much, but it makes me wonder. The defenders must have had a very low opinion of their attackers to think that they'd not have spies or reports beforehand to tell them which were the real doors. Oh well, it was still a very cool postcard. Mom is so jealous.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Ren said...

Jac!! I miss you like I miss anime when my computer won't turn on!!! I wish you would fill out some entries too so we could get your take on all that's going on. Hope you're having a blasttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Jac said...

faffles you werent supposed to tell mom cause i havent sent hers yet. silly boy
and ren dear i miss you too. have you moved yet??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home